Saturday, September 04, 2010

Teacher's Day: The Last Lecture

In a few moments,it will be another Teacher's Day...

(while teaching/preparing-for a course on "Cross Cultural Management" I realised that Japanese' term for "I/Me" actually means "between the people"... we carry thousands voices and lives as we live, grow and learn... The Web of Life, in Capra's terms)

...and so, this post is for all those (so many) from whom I learned and continue to learn:


  • ...some who sit/sat through my classes...

  • ...some whose classes I sat through (cursed them then, but value what I learned from them - now! - not necessarily what they taught!)..

  • ...some who pass(ed) on the road below my balcony - and also those little ones of the XL community, who play in the basket-ball court beyond the road..

  • ...some who I encountered in a brief ephemeral moment of this Brownian Motion, called Life - and inadvertantly, they left a thought, an image, an idea... to germinate, grow - take shape...

  • ... some I grew up with, and they helped me to find my bearings in this topsy-turvy world - and also

  • ...some friends and co-travellers, who took the other fork on the road, and went to inhabit another prophesy...

  • ...some who support(ed) my life - the lady who cleans the road and the staircase, the 'bahadurs' in the campus, Rahila "Chachi", Nanki who would buy and cook for us then in late '70s ...

    hmmm..well... the list can go on infinitely... but to add one more

  • ...some whom I "met"/came to know about in this virtual world of blogs, Ryze, Orkut, Facebook, YouTube, etc...


One of those virtual encounters, back in 2007, was with Randy Pausch - never met this Carnegie Mellon Prof... who gave his "Last Lecture" knowing fully well that he will not last more than a few months (he expired on July 25, 2008)

...and yet in some ways, I "met" him (and learned much from him)... yes, this vibed with me since I had known another teacher/ friend/ co-traveller in my life, who too in her own way articulated The Point of it All before she took the other fork on the road...

So this post is to celebrate life of another of my teachers
[...er - this is the original 76min video - not the Oprah Winfrey show kind, which too is availblle somewhere on YouTube - definitely not meant for the ADD junta :0)]

But if you can spare 76 / 34,164,000min of your on average life (65yrs), this is worth watching - and will be a tribute to a person


Randy Pausch: The Last Lecture

yup! "we can't change the cards we are dealt; just how we play the hand!"

...Life being the greatest teacher of all!!

4 comments:

Ajju said...

That was an awesome last lecture, remember havign tears in my eyes when i first saw it..

pali tripathi said...

Brilliant!

I took the liberty of posting the link of the lecture on fb...very inspirational indeed..

aryan said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
teachers are the reason for our success..........
not less than god....

selute to them..!!
hats off..!


uncle i need to talk to u once...

could u please ring me once if u dont mind..

7416842750
8008760503..

dont mind uncle....

Unknown said...

His is one of the most inspirational books that ive read...thanks Sir, for everything and beyond!