Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Adios! Shantanu Banerjee... a friend, an amazing person

well.. as life goes on, one learns to say those final "good-byes"...

I had met Shantanu first time in early '90s, when he used to be with Telco (now Tata Motors); I had joined XL then... he used to come to take sessions in our MDPs at XL. I remember him as a warm "whole" person (dont know how else to articulate this)...

He left Jamshedpur and joined Pepsi... then headed the HR for other organisations (Electrolux, Bharti Airtel, Steria, etc.)... and off and on we kept in touch for one reason or the other...

I had known that he was the guitarist of his batch - but it was only when the '81 batch came down to XL for their "Silver Jubilee Reunion" in '06 - when I (and many other who were on the campus then) realised that here was a talent who could play 11 instruments with same ease sitting on the JLT... he just flowed!

Some months back someone had called up and had told me about his growing cancer - and it seemed surreal to believe - and yet one knew...

So, when yesterday afternoon, Shruti da's (his batchmate) call came from Blore to say that he will perhaps last another day or two, one just kept one's fingers crossed...

... and then early this morning's SMS said:
"Shantanu Banerjee passed away early today at Bangalore. His body is being brought to Kolkata for the final rites."

... well, that's how it will happen to all of us - one way or the other...

So Adios, Shantanu - it was good touching base with you when you were here...

God Speed and God Bless!...
you will remain one of those voices/lives, I will carry with me...

6 comments:

Poornum said...

... well, that's how it will happen to all of us - one way or the other...

How true!!

I did not get an opportunity to meet and get to know Shantanu, but your write-up paints a good picture of the man.

From one XLer to another...Goodbye, Shantanu, See you soon!!

aryan said...

wow.............
im so lucky to know all these things/..

uncle
i wanna talk to u
plz call me na
7416842750
ill wait

HARI PARMESHWAR said...

Sorry to hear this news....

I guess this is the second person from 81' batch ..Jacob John being the other...

AB said...

From a face in the crowd at JLT that evening, So long!!

arnab said...

i was lucky to work under him at Pepsi - a wonderful dynamic down to earth man - who always thought and did good for others - may his soul rest in peace and come back again to Mother Earth as Shantanu Banerji again again again - it is really hard to find people like him now...

Varun said...

He was my HR head at Steria.. I was fortunate enough to had couple of meetings with him which gave me few quotes for life:
He told me:
"Varun, always remember one thing in life.. you are working with humans and not with machines.. so there will always be scope for errors.."
A true guitarist.. (Lucky to see him playing guitar)
Good bye Shantanu.. will always remember the priceless lesson you gave me in that little time..